Flame of the West
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Technical problems

4 posters

Go down

Technical problems Empty Technical problems

Post  Markiel Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:01 am

I start this thread, because I feel there should be this. I think I collect all speed solutions I found here.

And I have a problem and need advice. I have good self-made computer, but LOTRO is very slow sometimes. Especially when I change places to like Bree. I see that hard disk is heavy loaded and it takes long time before I can do something with my character.

Have You same problem and/or do anybody know solution to speed up game?

Frigga, an Elf

Last edited by Frigga Asynjur on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Markiel
Markiel

http://www.markonet.fi

Back to top Go down

Technical problems Empty Re: Technical problems

Post  Scarlett Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:41 am

Frigga, it could be a anumber of things.

If it's mainly just Bree then that could be just graphics and memory, everyone takes a performance hit in Bree when it's busy there. Lowering the various video options for your graphics via the options panel may give you improved performance over graphic quality - try it and see if that helps.

Otherwise post your PC specs (motherboard, processor, graphic card, hard disk, RAM etc) and OS - this may help to see where the potential performance issues are. Also what firewall and/or virus protection software you are running. Also check how much space you have free on your hard disk and how much virtual memory you have set for page filing.

Generally, high loads times indicate a need for more RAM or a deep defrag or even a bigger hard disk. But without knowing whether you are running SMA graphics, Vista or other 'in memory' applications it's hard to say; although a good defrag is a must for LOTRO as the .dat files are extremely large.

Scarlett

Back to top Go down

Post  Loninas Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:06 am

my pc is wey slow Crying or Very sad
have only 32 mp graphic card and WERY slow internet pig
Loninas
Loninas

Back to top Go down

Technical problems Empty Built for Speed!

Post  Markiel Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 am

I looked a little more why LOTRO is sometimes so slow. I seems to be hard disk speed that slows down game when moving to new instances. Server gives some location and other data, but most of scenes and characters are loaded from disk. It is not Internet speed but hard disk read speed. But what a handy man/woman can do for it?

I ordered 2 new hard disk: SATA-II, 7200 rpm, and I am going to install them as Raid 0. Then I should have a read speed about 2 * 300 MB/s = 600 MB/s in theory.

I shall report more in near future.

Frigga
Markiel
Markiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfraed Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Adjusting the graphics makes a huge difference to the speed. Unfortunately, half the time I find myself on lowest setting and barely have time to see my foes before their on top of me! Bree can be a big problem though - on any setting.

Alfraed

Back to top Go down

Technical problems Empty Built for Speed, Part 2.

Post  Markiel Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:50 am

My computer is following
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR
CPU: AMD 3800 Dual Core
Craphics Card: Sapphire Ati Radeon HD3870
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk: 2 pair 250 GB Raid1 (4 disks)
*NEW*: 1 disk as Raid0, 500 GB (2 disks)
Net: ADSL2+ Full Rate (max. 24 M/1 Mbit/s)

I believed my computer should run LOTRO easily (even before new disks), net connection is fast downstream and so on. Still there was much lags. Either LOTROs server was slow or there was some bottleneck in my computer. That was the start situation. Then I started to follow net traffic and hard disk load and found that it is the hard disk read speed that slows down the whole system.

So I bought 2 fast hard disks and installed them as a raid 0, aka striped. A Raid 0 splits data evenly across two or more disks. In theory and if data is suitable, a read speed is doubled compared with 1 disk.

It works! After one weekend testing I found LOTRO working fine and fast. I have high detail graphics and there is no disturbing lags anymore. There is some slighty slowdowns when I enter to big places with many players. The lags are noticeable but not disturbing any more and at least game locks no more. Normally I can't see any lags at all.

Conclusion: If Your LOTRO is slow, don't blame your ISP first. Look at Your own computer and first after that blame ISP. Shocked

Frigga
Markiel
Markiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down