Flame of the West
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knight Moves

3 posters

Go down

Knight Moves Empty Knight Moves

Post  Hestin Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:28 am

From a bird's eye view of it, had there sat one atop the bookshelves, the scene should have seemed rather ponderous, weary even.
Two men sit oppositve of each other, in graven and richly decorated chairs. Between them a no less extravagant table, and atop that: a chess board. The elderly man is wrapped in a set of heavy furs that despite their masterwork making are less attire than they are a quilt keeping him warm.
He alternatively focuses his benevolent but slightly blazé gaze on the chess board and his vis-ŕ-vis, then decides to sample the tea that had been arranged for him in a steaming cup.
The younger of the two men has his chiseled features cast at the chess board in deep thought; obviously it is his turn. After a few moments he makes his move.
Bishop moves A3 to C5
He thereafter leans back and lets out a small sigh. The fingers of his hand instinctively reach to rub at the scarred cut across his left eyebrow.

"I wish I knew why it itches most when a change in the weather is close," he admits. The elder man takes a sip of his tea, twists his lips and reaches for the marmelade jar. While improving his drink and keeping an eye on the other he picks up the conversation.
"Are you sure it is only the change in weather that ails you, Hestin?"
The sweetened tea seems much more to the man's liking.
Hestin in turn puts both hands on his thighs, the idication of a defensive stance; at least for him. The elderly man knows to gauge the reaction all to well, however. He smiles comfortingly while making his turn but speaks no other word.
Pawn moves B7 to B6
Hestin seems to be ignoring the move, instead he stares at Ehris for a moment until he wipes a hand over his face with a martyred moan.

"How could Gondor let Eriador be overrun with those.. those servants of mordor, m'lord?," Hestin exclaims slightly harsher than he had intended.
Ehris looks up with a hint of acknowledgment on his facial features. He felt glad and saddened at the same time that he hit the mark about Hestin's restlessness, that he would know him so well.
Ehris forces a nod and responds, "I doubt it would have been an easy decision, my friend. And perhaps there was no way to decide at all, seeing as Gondor's scouts may have been unable to gauge the traces foreshadowing the assault. For what it's worth, not even Rohan noticed, even though we riders see farther into Eriador than the eyes of the white city ever could." He falls silent again waiting for a reaction; that does not come.
Hestin seems to have taken on his mask of stoicism again. To divert himself he focuses on the game of chess.
Rook moves A6 to A4
An angry move, not quite farsighted. Ehris immediately picks the one of his knights which now is endangered by Hestin's rook.
Knight moves B4 to C2

"Check," Ehris adds after completing his turn. With a swift look Hestin evaluates the situation - it is a grave loss, stalemate.
As Ehris notices how the facial features of his friend are starting to slip, his spirits declining into unknown depths. Not about a silly game of chess, but about leaders playing a twisted form of chess with humans as figures - Ehris picks up the knight figurine that stalemates Hestin's King.
"Are you not one of my Knights, Hestin?," the old lord asks.
Hestin's eyes break away from the chess board and look to Ehris.
"Yes, I am that m'lord," he assures him.
"Then by all means go and do what you can to aid the people of Eriador, my old friend. Blood is thicker than water, and to deny our heritage would be to deny ourselves. You have the boon of House Tiubar," the aged lord ends.
As Hestin gets out of his seat to kneel down in gratitude Ehris takes his arm and makes him stand; he smiles to Hestin.
"No, I only repay what has been given, Hestin. And I have utmost confidence in you doing the right thing. You may also want to make use of the herald's good connections to the folks of Bree-town," Ehris adds.
Standing hastily Hestin bows his head deeply and then makes for the door where he stops. "Should we have another game of chess next Sunday?" Hestin asks and Ehris agrees. Seeing the big warrior well up with tears like a child would have been too intimate even for the two friends - and they both knew that.
Hestin
Hestin

Back to top Go down

Knight Moves Empty Knight Moves

Post  Arkiriell Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:25 pm

This is excellent Hestin. Really moving ...

You inspired me to post my story! Just fun stuff!

Arkiriel

Arkiriell

Back to top Go down

Knight Moves Empty Re: Knight Moves

Post  galenthir Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:58 am

Very nice Hestin! Started to wonder if they had chess and looked for a reference in the books. Doesn't really matter as it suits the spirit quite well. But I actually found one.

At one point Pippin thinks to himself: 'A pawn did Gandalf say? Perhaps but on the wrong chessboard.'

That is a reference to Gandalf's earlier musings on the eve of attack to Minas Tirith. He compares the situation to a game board, and Pippin to a pawn it seems. I remembered this part but wasn't sure if chess is actually mentioned. And it is, but only in Pippin's thoughts Smile.
galenthir
galenthir

Back to top Go down

Knight Moves Empty Re: Knight Moves

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum